Thursday, July 17, 2008

Corn Chowder

I am a big fan of soup. I really like soup and I like to try new recipes. For our cowboy party the other night my mom asked me to make Cowboy Corn Chowder. I said yes, as she is my mom, but was wondering if it would be good. I mean corn chowder, it just doesn't really sound that good to me. But I made it, and it was delicious! Here is the recipe:

1/2 pound of bacon
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 qts chicken stock
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs parsley, chopped
6 peppercorns, crushed
1 garlic clove
6 ears sweetcorn or 2 cups corn
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups half and half
salt and pepper to taste

In a 4 qt stock pot, saute' bacon until the fat is rendered. With a slotted spoon remove the bacon and discard, (or save to put in as a garnish when done) leaving the fat in the stock pot.
Add the onion and celery to the stock pot and saute' until transparent, but do not brown. Add the flour and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes, but do not brown. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring until no lumps remain. Reduce to a simmer and add the potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorns, and garlic. Cut the corn off the cob with a sharp knife being careful not to cut the cob. Add the corn to the soup. Continue simmering until the potatoes are tender. Add butter and half and half and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 8-10 servings.

Go ahead, try it, don't be scared! You'll thank me later!
What new recipe have you tried lately? Share it with us, won't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

So glad that you printed this recipe. I was trying to find the time to email you and ask for the recipe. I thought your soup was great and had more than my share at the party. By any chance do you have any of the stats about it. Calories, fat grams, fiber etc. Just curious.

Chris