Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dave Matthews Band

Last night Chuck and I went to a Dave Matthews Band concert. When we heard that they were coming to town, I was not excited at all and did not want to go. I like Dave Matthews, I like his music a lot! But, we had gone to a concert of theirs before and I hated it. Let me paint a picture of it for you. It was back in the fall of 2005. I was 3 months pregnant. We drove about 10 hours to Denver, checked in to our hotel, freshened up and then went to Red Rocks, where the concert was. I was amazed at the beauty of the place. It was gorgeous. The weather was perfect for an outdoor concert, not too hot, not too cold. The opening band came and went, they were ok. I can't even remember who it was. And then it was time for The Band to come out. All of these people started crashing into our area and everyone was drunk and continued obscene amounts of drinking. I am fine with that. I don't like it, but can handle that. But then, they all started smoking their pot and it ruined the whole thing for me. I mean we drove all that way to experience this concert and we left early because of the freaks that came out. So, needless to say, I was not too excited to go to another one.

But I did. And I am so glad I did. The concert was awesome! Like in my top 5 of all time greatest performances. Who was better? We'll get to that later. The energy was amazing, the musicality of the performance was astounding. The people we were around were not drunk or high or doing anything to get that way. And man, can Dave sing. AWESOME!

So who else is in my top 5? Definitely Tool. I can't believe I listen to or like them, but their music really is awesome and their concerts, top notch. I have been to 2 and they hold the number 1 and 2 spots in top performances because of their total rockin awesomeness. So, the third spot goes to Sting. We had the please of seeing of Sting in an outdoor setting 8 years ago and man he is awesome. There was energy, the music was awesome and everyone was having fun.

Rounding out the top 5 would be Matchbox 20. I have seen them twice as well, the last time in February of this year, and they rock too. Lots of energy and great music.

Ok, so enough about that. We enjoyed our show. We were worried our car might get towed because of where we parked, but we got lucky and it was still there. But we made up for that with a nice $300 speeding ticket on the way home. Erika, eat your heart out. Mr. Speedy pants who thinks any road is a specially designed racetrack just for him, finally got caught! Chuck was going 63 in a 45 mph CONSTRUCTION ZONE, so his fine was doubled and apparently they just raised speeding fines at the beginning of the month! NICE! Oh well, now he can go to traffic school and learn all over again the benefits of not speeding.

So that kind of put a damper on the evening, but we still had fun. I guess we are lucky he rides his bike to work a couple times a week, you know, to diminish the risk of more tickets!

So who is in your top 5 all time performances? Better yet, who do you think would be, but haven't been able to see yet? For me, Coldplay and Maroon 5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! $300 bucks. I will have to tease him about that!

Linkin Park
Matchbox 20
OAR
Blue October
Tonic

I haven't been to as many concerts as you have. And I have seen Linkin Park like three times and Matchbox twice. So maybe I'm a loser! JK
Glad this concert has better!

Stephanie said...

oh, I forgot about OAR. I guess they'd be in my top ten, but then again, that's about how many concerts I've been too!

Missy said...

Ok...I know this an old post, but I have to say that I too have been a DMB concert AND a Tool concert. I wouldn't have pegged you for a Tool fan in a million years. When did you see them?